Cairngorm Mountain Railway
Cairngorm Mountain Railway
Cairn Gorm Ski Area
PH22 1RB Phone: 01479 861261 Email: Send Email Website: Visit Website
The lower station of the Cairngorm Mountain Railway is situated deep in the Cairngorm National Park and is located along the B970 out of Aviemore in the Badenoch and Strathspey area of the Highlands.
This is an experience not to be missed if you are in the area and is accessible for wheelchair users including most powered chair users. There is a lift from the car park to the station platform and level access to the carriage. The journey up the steep track to the top station is slow and smooth and the views are incredible. The railway staff are courteous and willing to assist in any way possible.
When our researchers visited in June 2007 it was snowing at the top but in keeping with highland weather shortly afterward the sun came out and there was perfect visibility. There is a small exhibition, restaurant, outside viewing platform, an accessible toilet and shop at the top station with a good sized lift to all floors.
The lower station also has a disabled toilet but it is quite small so we recommend using the better sized one in the adjacent Cas Bar restaurant. The wheelchair accessible entrance to the restaurant is around the right hand side of the building.
Also based here is the office of Disability Snowsports UK that provide a wide variety of activities for people with disabilities during the winter months with a wealth of adapted ski equipment and trained instructors.
Assessed by Disabled Holiday Information
- Designated Disabled car parking
- Hard surfaced car park
- Level/ramped wheelchair access to entrance
- Level/ramped wheelchair access into venue (lift to station)
- Concessionary fee for wheelchair user
- Concessionary fee for carer (essential carers have free entrance)
- Easy access around ground floor/area of site
- Wheelchair access to gardens/grounds (There is an accessible path which is quite steeply inclined)
- Wheelchair access to other floors
- lift controls at accessible height
- Wheelchair accessible toilet/toilets (3 toilets on site see description above)
- Grab rails in toilet
- Easy access to wash basin
- easy access to hand dryer/towels
- Wheelchair turning space in accessible toilet
- space to side transfer
- Room for carer/carers in accessible toilet
- Level/ramped access to shop (lift)
- Level/ramped access to cafe/tearoom (lift access to the ptarmigan restaurant at the top station, level access to the cafe at the bottom station)
- Accessible counter/cutlery if self service (partial but assistance available)
- Sufficient wheelchair access to tables
- Wheelchair access to land train/shuttle bus